Thursday 18 October 2007

Church

I was reading a book that was talking about being passsionate for God, and it talked about people who go to church on Sunday, but other than that they don't really do anything for God. I started to think, "am I one of those people?" Then I started taking stock of my regular week, and what my activities are. I go to Coffee Break, that's about it.... uh-oh. But wait, I asked a new girl in town to attend with me, and she now comes regularly too. Last week I asked another girl who stayes home all week if she wanted to come, and now she said she's going to start coming regularly. I usually go for walks with Asher in the mornings just to get out of the house, and I now stop by a the home of a woman who just got married and moved to town, and we walk together.

My point is this. You may not think you are doing much for God, but there are lots of ways that we serve Him that may not really seem like we are doing much. It reminds me of the cheesy churchy saying "You may be the only Bible people read" An urging to be good, but it does have a ring of truth to it. Not that we need to always be on our best behaviour. We need to be accessible to people. They need to know we are real people (we have many of the same problems) and we can be fun too.

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I remember getting all excited about God on retreats and I must have become "born again" about 10 times before I turned 18. We want that spiritual high all the time, but the only way we'll maintain that is when we get to heaven. Until then we have to trust that God is with us, and that he'll help us to know what it is he wants us to be doing. And that might be something that seems quite small, and not associated with your church. Like bringing the new neighbours a plate of your favourite brownies!

No comments:

Post a Comment