Friday 17 October 2008

I Was Hacked!

Last week I suddenly couldn't log onto my email account. I tried the "I forgot my password" route, but since we have moved 9 times in 9 years, when they asked me what my postal code was, I got the answer wrong so many times I got locked out. After 2 days of trying, I decided I'd better email the customer service. At first I couldn't figure out why they weren't replying to my emails.... until I realized that the only email address I had put on the email was the one I was locked out of!

After a week, I finally answered all their verification questions correctly & they got me back in! I looked in my "sent" & "trash" folders to see if he had sent any fraudulent emails, but there were none there, so I couldn't figure out why he would have taken over my account. What was the draw? Why not just set up his own new account? I don't think my screen name is really cool enough that someone else would want it bad enough to steal it.

I went to the page to change my password to discover that the address on file was not mine. No, it wasn't a place I had lived previously (at least I don't remember ever residing in Florida). Some schmuck broke into my email account & had the audacity to fill in his own alternate email address, address, & phone number! And let me tell you, when I discovered he had put his phone number in there, I was sorely tempted to give him a ring & chew him out! As I picked up the phone I thought better of it though b/c I didn't want my phone number to come up on his caller ID & then have him calling ME all the time!

So I got that all sorted out & decided that since I have some emails in my folders pertaining to banks & other on-line things, I should start changing all my passwords just in case he was a total scum. Thankfully he doesn't seem to have gained access to anything other than my eBay account. I couldn't log onto that one either, so I contacted eBay & they said they had already blocked my account b/c I was sending out scam emails from it.

At this point I was steamed! Not that I use my eBay account all that often, but IT'S MINE!!! I understand now a little of the violation that people feel when they have their identity stolen. My experience was nothing near as bad, but I was pretty mad. It's not easy to go back & get everything put back in place & I'm sure there are certain thing I have overlooked that a good & proper thief wouldn't have. If he had gotten my bank info we could be hooped at this point. A week doesn't seem like a long time, but w/ everything being on the internet I think it's alot easier to take people's money now.

Perhaps I should feel a bit sorry for the guy. He probably wouldn't have dreamed of a life of crime before the economic downturn in the States. He probably just was looking for a little cash to pay the rent, or feed his family. Maybe I should have saved his address so I could send him a "Charitable Donation" (or so I could turn him over to the cops).

2 comments:

  1. 1st - don't feel sorry for the guy (if it is a he)
    2nd - not everyone does things because times are a little tough. Some scum do things just because they are scum!

    Anyhow, I do feel sorry for you having to go through the experience of this. Hope all goes smooth from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How scary!

    One of the times that our car had been broken into the guy stole our CD player and all of our CDs. Most of them were church music and I have a secret hope that he listened to some of them.

    ReplyDelete