Tuesday 14 October 2008

Personalities

Have you ever met someone & decided that you liked them right away b/c they remind you of someone else that you like? Have you ever accidentally called that person by the other one's name b/c in your mind they are almost one & the same? I was thinking about that today since we have moved to a new place, all the people I meet are new & yet some seem to be more familiar to me. I was trying to figure out why & I discovered that some of them look like people I knew elsewhere & some act like people I knew before.

Then I thought about the flip-side. What if I meet someone new & decide I DON'T like them b/c they remind me of someone I wasn't crazy about? That could be dangerous. I realized that I need to be aware of something like that happening & make sure that I don't do the transference of feelings from one person to the next b/c even though people may look similar or act similarly, they are all individuals.

In one of the offices where I worked there was a girl who I did NOT like from day 1. We sat quite close to eachother & often had to help w/ the other person's job if they got too busy. I tried to ignore her as much as possible b/c she was really starting to grate on my nerves. After a few months I realized that she was a really hard worker & always tried to help others whenever she could. I decided that maybe she wasn't so bad afterall & discovered over time that, in fact, I really enjoyed working w/ her! She was quite funny, & I actually looked forward to the time when she would start her shift.

About 2 months after that she took another job & I have never heard from her since. I'm still regretting that b/c of my crummy attitude I missed MONTHS of what could have been a close friendship. I have been conscious ever since to give people a chance & not judge if I like them or not in the first few meetings. I think it's an important thing for us all to do. And now I'll get off my soapbox.

*Thanks to everyone who have left comments! It's been great to see some of the people who've been reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment