Wednesday 15 April 2009

All In The Name Of Science

As I was shopping the other day I noticed a new kind of candy bar. This doesn't happen too often, because Canada really seems to be the king of all things chocolate. Sure, the States has candy bar variety, but Cadbury alone has over 55 types of chocolate bar. When I first moved to Canada 10 years ago, my husband & I would frequently stop at 7-11. He'd look through the magazines & I'd look through the chocolate bars. There were so many that were new to me, I had a hard time choosing just one (or two).

One of my favourite chocolate bars is the Milky Way Midnight, but I've only been able to find it in the States. The other day, when I stumbled upon the Mars Dark candy bar, I was elated. I have found that often the same candy bar goes by different names when in different countries. For example,



Cadbury's Caramilk -Canada

Cadbury's Caramello - the States
(actually distributed by Hershey's)

As I reached in the box to acquire my "new" candy bar (the Mars Dark), I noticed there was another new variety as well; the Mars Caramel.

So, all in the name of science, I decided it was time for a home taste-test, & bought one of each.

For those of you unfamiliar with what a Mars Bar is, it goes by the alias of Milky Way Bar when it resides in the States. Think of a 3 Musketeers Bar with caramel.


First I cut into them all so I knew what I was in for.
I was a bit disappointed to discover that the Mars Dark had regular nougat & not the white nougat that the Milky Way Midnight features, but thought I'd give it a fair shot & try for flavour. I preferred it to the regular Mars Bar, since I am more partial to dark chocolate anyways, but would have really enjoyed it had it been a bit more like the Milky Way Midnight.

Next up was the Mars Caramel. When it was cut, I noticed that there seemed to be a whole lot of caramel & not much nougat. I soon discovered there was NO nougat. It was alright, but I much prefer a Caramilk bar. I suppose if you are a fan of the caramel found in a Mars bar, this might be the bar for you, but I enjoy the nougat as well.

In all, I'd rank the Mars Dark as my favourite, the regular Mars Bar second, and the Mars Caramel as a distant third. If you've tried these variations, I'd love to hear what you thought.

1 comment:

  1. I do like Mars. I think we have the caramel type here. Not sure about the Dark though.

    ReplyDelete