Thursday 17 December 2009

Social Networking

I went to a ladies' brunch last week.  I was telling my mom about it before I went & she was very excited for me.  She said, "I used to go to that group & it's where I met lots of women my age!"

Well, Mom, I met lots of women your age there as well!  I was the youngest in the room by about 20 years, not that that bothers me.  I have just as much fun in a room full of ladies my age, as a room full of women my mother's age.

When I had initially called to get information about it, I asked of there were many younger women who went.  The coordinator replied, "We'd like to have more!"  That was my first indication that I might not be joining a group of my peers.

At one point, one of the women at my table asked what brought me to the island (as I had been introduced as the girl who moved from Calgary), I told them that my husband is a pastor & that he was called to a church here.

She said, "Oh, you don't look old enough to be married!"

"Well," I replied, "I've been married for 10 years, I'm 30."

"My goodness, you don't look a day over 19!"  She exclaimed.

And it might just be that the age gap made me look younger than my age, but I'll still take that compliment.

After talking to the ladies at my table, I discovered that they all have grandchildren the same age as my children.  Despite the fact that I didn't know anyone there, and I HATE going to places that I've never been before, especially by myself, it was a fun morning out, and I'm looking forward to joining them again next month!  After all, they are desiring more younger women to join them, and if I contribute nothing else, I fit that bill.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! My stitching group is like that- all older than my mom. It's awesome that they thought you were so young!

    ReplyDelete