Friday 5 February 2010

Next Time Take The Stairs

When I was in jr. high, my family was on a trip in Washington DC.  We had decided to go visit one of the battlefields in the area, and we hopped on the elevator ready to start our adventure.  On the way down, my brothers decided it would be fun to "shake" the elevator, so they started swaying from side to side.  I thought I should get in on the action, but of course I had to do it bigger & better, so I started jumping.

Little did I know that elevators are fitted with emergency brakes to stop an elevator from plummeting towards the ground if it senses that it is descending too rapidly.  Apparently, my jumping, caused the elevator to trigger the emergency brakes, and the five of us were suddenly trapped between floors for a few hours until the fire brigade could come & rescue us.

This wouldn't have been that big of a deal if my mom wasn't claustrophobic.  She's not the biggest fan of elevators at the best of times, but to say she was upset with me, would barely scratch the surface.  But it could have been worse....

*****************************
Nicholas White was working late one night & became trapped in the elevator.  Apparently it was a major malfunction & he was stuck for the next 41 hours!  And the entire ordeal was caught on the surveillance video.

No comments:

Post a Comment