Tuesday 27 April 2010

Twenties Girl –review

It was mentioned to Sophie Kinsella at one time, that she should write a ghost story.  She thought about it for awhile & decided to do so.  Had I known before I got this book that it would be centred around a ghost, I probably would have never gotten it, even though I’m a huge fan of Sophie Kinsella.  Well, I am very glad that my friend April sent me this book, because Twenties Girl, true to Sophie Kinsella’s form, delivered intrigue, suspense, romance & humour.

The story revolves around Lara, a young woman who seems to be stuck in a bit of a slump.  She can’t get over her boyfriend who suddenly broke up with her without warning months ago.  The new business she recently started with a friend has been left for her to run whilst her friend takes a very extended holiday.  And Lara feels she has to keep all this secret from her parents because she’s just not sure they would know how to deal with it.

When Lara’s little known Great-Aunt Sadie dies at the age of 105, Lara dutifully goes to the memorial service, and is embarrassed that none of the family really know what to say since none of them made any effort to know her when she was living.

At the service, Sadie appears before Lara & won’t leave her alone until she promises to help her find a necklace which has gone missing.  It might sound a bit hokey, and as far a ghost stories go, I’m not a fan, but this book is just another example of why Sophie Kinsella is such a popular writer.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, it is a super cute book! And she has a new one coming out this year, yay!

    ReplyDelete