Wednesday 30 October 2013

Apple Bread Pudding

A few weeks ago, PChad & I went away for the weekend, & the babysitter took the kids apple picking.  She left us with a large bag of apples, so I decided to make some apple crisp.  As I was looking through my dessert recipes, I found one I had put in the recipe box but never made.  It was for Apple Bread Pudding.

 

I am a big fan of bread pudding.  When we eat dinner at a restaurant, I almost always ask to see the dessert menu right away.  That way I can see if they have bread pudding, & plan my meal accordingly!  So, when I found that recipe all thoughts of apple crisp flew away & I knew I was going to be making the apple bread pudding instead.

 

It was a huge hit, & not very difficult to make.  The only thing I wish were different is that you really need to make it just before you eat it, it doesn’t really work to prepare it ahead of time.  It takes about 45 minutes to cook, which is about how long it takes us to eat dinner, so that means I have to prepare dinner & dessert at the same time.  Maybe next time dessert will just be dinner, then I only have to make one thing!

 

Apple Bread Pudding

4 C Soft Bread Cubes

1/4 C Raisins (I always add more)

2 C Peeled & Sliced Apples

1 C Brown Sugar

1 3/4 C Milk

1/4 C Margarine

1 t Cinnamon

1/2 t Vanilla

2 Eggs, beaten

 

Vanilla Sauce

1/4 C White Sugar

1/4 C Brown Sugar

1/2 C Milk

1/2 C Margarine

1 t Vanilla

 

-Preheat oven to 350, Grease 7x11 baking dish.

-In large bowl, combine bread, raisins, & apples

-In small saucepan over Med heat, combine Br Sugar, Milk, & Margarine.  Cook & stir ‘til Margarine is melted.  Pour over bread mixture in bowl, & transfer to baking dish.

-In small bowl, whisk together Cinnamon, Vanilla, & Eggs.  Pour over bread mixture in baking dish.

-Bake @ 350 for 40-50 minutes, or until centre is set & apples are tender.

-While pudding is baking, mix together sauce ingredients in small saucepan.  Bring to a boil.  Serve over warm pudding.

No comments:

Post a Comment